Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Four Modes

My visual and textual elements are all describing the struggles that women have with the illicit abuse of prescription stimulants. Because of the pressures of current society for women to be beautiful as well as be overachievers, the use of these drugs is becoming increasingly tempting.

 

Visual: Woman With Pill Between Lips

 

My visual is a photograph of the lips of women who has a capsule between her lips. This is supposed to look attractive yet it is promoting something extremely dangerous, thus promoting something that seems harmless although the substance actually is.

 

Move: Prozac Nation

 

My other visual is movie called Prozac Nation, about young a woman who is a talented writer in Harvard and deals with these pressures by abusing prescription medication. This movie is a good depiction of what a woman can go through if struggling with this issue. One scene in particular I would like to use is when she says the hospital is like her “drug dealer” which shows how over prescribing these medications to an individual can cause serious drugs problems.

 

Book: Prozac Nation

 

My textual is the book Prozac Nation that the movie is based upon. I will use some specific text here to show my audience the burden of someone having this drug problem and what they are going through. Words can be a very powerful thing, and actually reading it can have a huge impact on my audience.

 

Song: Amphetamine by Everclear

 

My other textual is the song Amphetamine by Everclear. This song describes the life of a girl who has changed so much because she is dependent on amphetamines. The writer could tell she “used to be happy”, however now she a just a hollow shell. This also will show my audience how serious this epidemic is and how more light should be shed upon this issue. 

No comments: